My name is Jennifer Carole. I am The Lawyer’s Daughter.
In April 2018, Joseph DeAngelo was arrested for the rape and murder of my stepmom and the murder of my father – along with several other murders and rapes – in Ventura, California, in 1980. His DNA was a 100% match to the DNA found in my stepmom, Charlene. He is called the Golden State Killer (unfortunately, I hate that name). In 2020, during the pandemic, he was convicted.
My dad, an attorney, was hoping to be appointed a judge, with the ultimate goal of being the governor of California or a US senator. My stepmom, my dad’s former secretary, was starting a business in interior design. I live with both of them in my head, and as a result, I look at this case through the eyes of a lawyer and the heart of a victim.
The video below is long – about 60 minutes. It explains the 40-year journey that ended in a conviction.
My Victim Impact Statement
I’ve queued this to start when I start, but the video begins with this woman, a dear friend of Charlene’s, who I invited to speak because I felt like Charlene needed a voice. Unfortunately, this woman chose this time to remind me of how brutal my childhood was when it came to my dad and her friends. Imagine, the last time this woman saw me, I was 13 years old. Dad had just divorced my mom and started living with his secretary. I’m glad Jill was there for Charlene, but what she said ended up being one of those weird gifts that helps your child understand your past in a visceral and validating way.
In the video below, I’ve just come out of court after giving my victim impact statement (above). I was exhausted, and immediately after this interview, I collapsed into a hot mess of tears. Listening to the stories was incredibly difficult. Day after day, horror after horror. This experience truly changed me.
Convicted | August 21, 2020
The Process of Sending the Golden State Killer to Prison
He managed to dodge death row. Here’s what will happen instead.
“I did all those things,” Ho said DeAngelo muttered. “I’ve destroyed all their lives, so now I’ve got to pay the price.”
Joseph DeAngelo has pled guilty to 13 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of kidnapping. He also admitted guilt in 62 other crimes, including rapes, robbery, and more. These crimes weren’t charged because the statute of limitations protected him from prosecution.¹ Before his plea, special circumstances were attached, which meant the death penalty if guilty.
The Lawyer’s Daughter Podcast & Blogs
My podcast, The Lawyer’s Daughter, is the story from inside the case. It should be available wherever podcasts are offered.
The pods are also available on YouTube with video featured in the second half of the posts (I was audio only at the beginning).
- The Golden State Killer Has Been CaughtThe Golden State Killer has been caught. I know we still have miles to go before there’s a conviction, but… More The Golden State Killer Has Been Caught
- Venue Decision for Golden State Killer: Where Will We Hold the TrialThe press release below went out on May 11 regarding the on-going discussions among the district attorneys and the right… More Venue Decision for Golden State Killer: Where Will We Hold the Trial
- Preparing to Attend Tomorrow’s Golden State Killer HearingCharlie’s Cafe is where the Golden State Killer liked to eat. Good on them for putting up with the lousy… More Preparing to Attend Tomorrow’s Golden State Killer Hearing
- Today I Saw Joseph DeAngelo, The Golden State Killer, In Person for the First TimeI knew it would be tough to sleep. I felt the dread building into the evening and so I decided… More Today I Saw Joseph DeAngelo, The Golden State Killer, In Person for the First Time
- Seeing DeAngelo for the First Time – Part TwoTwo days have passed since seeing DeAngelo in court. There’s a dream I’ve been having since he was arrested that’s… More Seeing DeAngelo for the First Time – Part Two
- Behind the Scenes – Discussing Golden State Killer with 20/20 on ABCExec staff was supposed to start at 11am, but as usual our head sales guy was late. As my CEO… More Behind the Scenes – Discussing Golden State Killer with 20/20 on ABC
- For 30 Years He Lived Among UsIn Silicon Valley it’s not cool to be old. It should be, but it isn’t. What’s old? 40. 50. For… More For 30 Years He Lived Among Us
- The Power of Women – East Area Rapist Survivors Are FierceHad anyone at a Buckhorn Grill looked our way, they would have seen a group of women, whooping it up,… More The Power of Women – East Area Rapist Survivors Are Fierce
- May 29th In Court with East Area Rapist VictimsYesterday, Memorial Day, it was quiet downtown near the jail. I was looking for a place for a “survivor coffee”… More May 29th In Court with East Area Rapist Victims
- Open Letter to the Male Survivors of the East Area RapistI’m not sure I want to know what happened inside my dad’s house. Larry Pool shared a lot with me… More Open Letter to the Male Survivors of the East Area Rapist
- Privacy at Issue in DeAngelo Pretrial Hearing: DiscussI sat in court on Tuesday, listening to arguments for the first time, as they apply to privacy, the search… More Privacy at Issue in DeAngelo Pretrial Hearing: Discuss
- Citrus Heights Barnes and Noble Was Packed with Stories, Interest and Support“Look for Karen,” Ray texted, “She’s coming up for the book event tonight!” Holy cow, I thought, she’s coming all… More Citrus Heights Barnes and Noble Was Packed with Stories, Interest and Support
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark – Telling Other People’s Stories – Barnes and Noble Part 2I didn’t know who Michelle McNamara was until I heard Patton talking about her on Conan shortly after she died.… More I’ll Be Gone in the Dark – Telling Other People’s Stories – Barnes and Noble Part 2
- News of the Day: DNA, Evidence, and Victim’s AssistanceMy new friends in the media warned me about this. They said to be ready for the ups and downs.… More News of the Day: DNA, Evidence, and Victim’s Assistance
- In Search of Lyman Smith’s Mystery WomanMy parents divorced in 1972. It was a bit of a long time coming. My mom was a stay at… More In Search of Lyman Smith’s Mystery Woman
- When Someone Else’s Trauma Triggers YoursIt has been a really tough week. Not so much practically, but emotionally. I realized this morning, in a private… More When Someone Else’s Trauma Triggers Yours
- Writing a Book About the Murders: I Can’t Do It and Here’s WhyI’m one of those people who doesn’t remember a lot of my childhood. There are good reasons why. While some… More Writing a Book About the Murders: I Can’t Do It and Here’s Why
- I Was a Suspect In My Dad’s Murder | Part 1Probably the one thing about this whole case that caused me the most shame, was being a suspect. I can’t… More I Was a Suspect In My Dad’s Murder | Part 1
- I Was A Suspect In My Dad’s Murder | Part 2I’m pretty sure I spent thousands of dollars in therapy to get over this. No, it wasn’t just this, but… More I Was A Suspect In My Dad’s Murder | Part 2
- Court Date July 12 | Another Hearing and Meeting New SurvivorsSometimes we get so good at our jobs we can do them almost on autopilot. We don’t realize everyone else… More Court Date July 12 | Another Hearing and Meeting New Survivors
- The Day We Learned My Dad and Charlene Were DeadMy grandmother’s piano sat in our front room. It’s dark cherry and well-worn and every Smith kid had to take… More The Day We Learned My Dad and Charlene Were Dead
- The Day of the Arrest: How I Learned DeAngelo Had Been CaughtThe week before DeAngelo’s arrest, I had worked a trade show called RSAC. It’s the biggest cybersecurity show in the… More The Day of the Arrest: How I Learned DeAngelo Had Been Caught
- Top Five Reasons Having the DeAngelo Trial in Sacramento is Pure GoldWhen the FBI released the news about the Golden State Killer, the Orlando shooting massacre happened and took over the… More Top Five Reasons Having the DeAngelo Trial in Sacramento is Pure Gold
- Court Date Aug 23 | Twenty-Six New Charges for Joseph DeAngeloIn just a few days, the names of the 9/11 victims will be read again in New York. I can’t… More Court Date Aug 23 | Twenty-Six New Charges for Joseph DeAngelo
- My Life Has Been Incredibly Different Since the Arrest of Joseph DeAngeloYesterday Sacramento was able to announce the arrest of another monster. Terrorist. Piece of human excrement. The NorCal Rapist was… More My Life Has Been Incredibly Different Since the Arrest of Joseph DeAngelo
- So Now What? Kavanaugh, Trauma, Healing and Moving ForwardI have this fantasy of buying one of those sheds from Home Depot and having a friend sheet rock the… More So Now What? Kavanaugh, Trauma, Healing and Moving Forward
- Lyman and Charlene Smith’s Funeral | What I RememberMy family isn’t really into funerals. Thankfully, I’ve been to very few in my life but the one I remember… More Lyman and Charlene Smith’s Funeral | What I Remember
- Busted | Five Myths About the Smith FamilyIt’s no secret you know I grew up in a household of Democrats. My dad was fierce about justice for… More Busted | Five Myths About the Smith Family
- The Mysterious Case of Anne PennWhen Katie was born, the joke was she was born unto a family twig. We have no real family tree.… More The Mysterious Case of Anne Penn
- Lyman and Charlene Smith’s Secret Christmas Wedding, December 12, 1975In our family, we celebrate any holiday that involves presents and candy. Gotta say I truly appreciate that about my… More Lyman and Charlene Smith’s Secret Christmas Wedding, December 12, 1975
- Happy Hanukkah: The Hearing Coming Up this WeekKatie and I are kind of goofy about Hanukkah. We have a song by Barenaked Ladies that we play when… More Happy Hanukkah: The Hearing Coming Up this Week
- I Have a Horse in this Race | The California Death PenaltyI was probably a preteen when I first discussed the death penalty with my dad – he was against it.… More I Have a Horse in this Race | The California Death Penalty
- DeAngelo Dick Pic Finally Made Public!Sorry guys, I couldn’t resist. I mean it’s April Fools’ Day. Fungus courtesy of the Taco Bell parking lot on… More DeAngelo Dick Pic Finally Made Public!
- Another Court Date for DeAngelo in Sacramento TomorrowNow that Katie lives up here, it makes it just a bit more awesome coming north for another courtroom performance.… More Another Court Date for DeAngelo in Sacramento Tomorrow
- Court Date | April 10, 2019 – One Year Later, DeAngelo Earns the Death Penalty as Possible ConsequenceIt’s nearly 8pm and I am swimming in a hot mess of feelings. I might not even be able to… More Court Date | April 10, 2019 – One Year Later, DeAngelo Earns the Death Penalty as Possible Consequence
- Golden State Killer Survivors Exploited for Political GainIt’s 4am as I start this because I can’t sleep. I’m so angry, it’s beyond my belief. I have to… More Golden State Killer Survivors Exploited for Political Gain
- Post-Court Gathering | Golden State Killer Survivors and HBOToday I got my hands dirty planting some tomatoes and strawberries with the hope they will flourish. I used to… More Post-Court Gathering | Golden State Killer Survivors and HBO
- True Crime Preliminary Research Results | Infographic![UPDATE: I have fixed the Infographic – now all ages are there and I added an explainer to the impact… More True Crime Preliminary Research Results | Infographic!
- Deep Dive: “Man in the Window” and the Therapeutic Technique Many of Us are UsingI have a lot to say about Paige St John’s podcast. All of it good. But let’s start where she… More Deep Dive: “Man in the Window” and the Therapeutic Technique Many of Us are Using
- I Used to Hate Him, But Now I Just Resent Joseph DeAngeloThe El Paso shooting has just happened and I am heartsick. I’m sure you’ll be shocked to learn I’m anti-gun… More I Used to Hate Him, But Now I Just Resent Joseph DeAngelo
- Justice Fatigue: It’s a Thing and it Happens to Many of UsEpstein is dead. I did not see that coming. Sometimes I am so naïve. I think good things happen to… More Justice Fatigue: It’s a Thing and it Happens to Many of Us
- Court Date: August 22, 2019 | DeAngelo Withers AwayI spent the day with the HBO folks yesterday. They are really great people and I was impressed with their… More Court Date: August 22, 2019 | DeAngelo Withers Away
- Joseph DeAngelo is Dead | What If?It’s fall and we have a new house in Sacramento! I won’t be living there full time but at least… More Joseph DeAngelo is Dead | What If?
- Court Date | January 22, 2020 – We Have a Preliminary Trial Date. Finally.I wasn’t in court today and I under-estimated my frustration. I’ve been sick and then I managed to share it… More Court Date | January 22, 2020 – We Have a Preliminary Trial Date. Finally.
- What Is DeAngelo’s Defense Thinking? What Will Be Their Strategy?I feel remarkably better today – the boost of adrenaline I had from yesterday’s hearing (while I sat in my… More What Is DeAngelo’s Defense Thinking? What Will Be Their Strategy?
- The Golden State Killer Economy – Who’s Making MoneyI was roasted on Reddit* the other day – totally unexpected – and it seems like things got weird when… More The Golden State Killer Economy – Who’s Making Money
- February 2020 Closes with a Few DeAngelo SurprisesMany of us have waited so long for this show to get started. Thanks to DNA, I never worried we’d… More February 2020 Closes with a Few DeAngelo Surprises
- March 5, 2020 Podcast Notes | DeAngelo Wants to PleaThis is a summary of my March 5, 2020 podcast, DeAngelo Wants to Plea. You can listen to the podcast… More March 5, 2020 Podcast Notes | DeAngelo Wants to Plea
- In the News | 1981 Prelim of Joe Alsip Links & ImagesWhen Joe Alsip was arrested for the murder of Lyman and Charlene Smith, we finally learned about new aspects of… More In the News | 1981 Prelim of Joe Alsip Links & Images
- The HBO I’ll Be Gone in the Dark Teaser Has DroppedUpdate: Did not see this press release yesterday. It explains more about the approach to the series and mentions victims!… More The HBO I’ll Be Gone in the Dark Teaser Has Dropped
- It’s Time to Let Go – Full Moon Renewal CeremonyThe full moon in July is referred to as the “Full Buck Moon” because this is the time of year buck’s antlers are in full growth… More It’s Time to Let Go – Full Moon Renewal Ceremony
- How to Prepare a Victim Impact StatementYou never know when you might need to write a Victim Impact Statement. I wish this on no one. But… More How to Prepare a Victim Impact Statement